Five Habits I Want To Build This Summer

Recently, I’ve felt a little unproductive.   Not that I haven’t got anything to do, or not even that I haven’t been doing anything (I have been doing stuff, I’ve been working hard behind the scenes of this blog and doing all sorts of other stuff too), however I just feel like I needed a few more goals to strive towards for summer.  This is when I decided to come up with five habits to develop over summer and which will hopefully enhance my productivity and make me feel more achieved.

img_0736

I wouldn’t say these are super life-changing habits but they’re definitely ones which I’d like to adopt and so I thought I’d share them with you!  The idea behind most of these habits is also to better myself in September when I go back to school or just make my life a little bit easier!

1. MAKE MY BED EVERY DAY

I always try to make myself keep my room clean and tidy.  I find that when my room is clean and fresh, I’m literally a thousand times more productive and I just get way more stuff done.  I’ve decided that over summer, I’m going to try to make my bed every single day as a step towards keeping my room tidy!

2. READ MORE (AND TACKLE MY A LEVEL ENGLISH READING LIST)

Ideally, I want to start reading more this summer.  I really like reading and I don’t just want to spend my whole summer reading my books for English lit, even though I’m aiming to start tackling that reading list soon, but I want to read more books on my reading list for myself.  I’ve got so many books I want to read and would love some book suggestions!  This was a goal I included in my new years resolutions and in my summer bucket list, so it’s definitely something I would like to do!

3. START WRITING A SENTENCE A DAY NOTEBOOK

I want to record this summer but I’m lowkey a little bit lazy so I can’t see myself scrapbooking or writing a journal (nor do I do enough exciting things to fill these with), but I do want to start a notebook where I write in a sentence every day.  I feel like this is a pretty easy way to record my summer but requires minimal effort from me, which is great.

4. GO OUTSIDE MORE

Personally, I think I’ve been doing really well recently with this.  Yesterday, I spent my whole day outside swimming in a pool with my friends, and I’ve been on a walk this week and been to the beach.  I feel like the outdoors is very pretty in summer (even though this UK heatwave has literally frazzled my garden) and I would be a fool to not use the nice summer weather to my advantage right now – right?  I’m hoping to also get loads more pictures for my instagram this summer, so going outside would help with some nice flower pictures and stuff.  Shamelessly, I will now plug my instagram so go follow me over there, I’m trying to reach 850 followers by the end of July!

5. PLAN MORE

I’ve got a thing for buying diaries and planners, and setting up planners on my laptop, but I rarely actually utilise them.  I’m going to start planning for the week ahead in my planner every Sunday evening, and then planning out my blog content more on my planning spreadsheet (I know, I really am that organsied.  Whether or not I use said spreadsheet is yet to be decided). Hopefully this will make me more organised and more able to have my life together in September when I go back to school and still aim to post twice a week.  I really want to have enough posts planned and scheduled to go up in September, so hopefully this will help.  Also, I may be posting more than twice a week in August – it might not be every week, but some weeks it might be three or four posts rather than two because I just have so many ideas!  If I build a habit of planning, hopefully that will make this whole thing way easier.

img_0740

Pin this to pinterest please!!

I hope you enjoyed reading this post, even if it was a little incoherent! Have you got any habits you’d like to build this summer?  Let me know in the comments!

Soph xx

54 Comments

1. BethRebecca
    July 21, 2018 / 2:24 pm

I really want to get into reading more this summer! I feel like I always say I’m going to and then never end up getting round to it and just watch tv instead which is so bad

Beth x | https://bethrebecca.com/

July 21, 2018 / 2:45 pm

That’s exactly what I do!! I sort of made this post to try & hold myself accountable to these goals haha😂

2. July 21, 2018 / 3:17 pm

Bed making is a biggie. Makes you feel more productive if you can get that done first.

3. The Not Fake DC
    July 21, 2018 / 3:19 pm

Bed making is a biggie. I feel lime your day feels more productive if you nail the bed making.

July 21, 2018 / 3:23 pm

I agree so much!

4. July 21, 2018 / 3:37 pm

Hope you manage to achieve all your habits, I’m sure you will. You make me want to be more productive aha! Great post as always xx 💗😘

July 21, 2018 / 3:41 pm

Glad you enjoyed the post Eden!💜

5. July 21, 2018 / 3:47 pm

I definitely need to spread more and I have an online basket full of books which I need to purchase! And I totally agree with buying planners and not utilising them. These are such great habits, good luck with them x

July 21, 2018 / 3:50 pm

Thank you Najida! I’ve got a huge order of books on its way & can’t wait to start reading them!💜

6. July 21, 2018 / 5:33 pm

love the idea! I would have a list similar to yours but after a little more than a week into my internship immediately after my exams got done, I’m too tired to think about making habits.
    Good luck with your goals! (Also heading over now to follow you on Instagram 🙂 )

July 21, 2018 / 7:43 pm

Thank you Sumedha!! I’ve been away from exams for a little over a month now & im feeling the need for some work again after a very well deserved rest!😇❤️

July 21, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Thank you Megan! X

7. July 22, 2018 / 12:53 pm

Finally found the post I’ve been looking for! I’ve been so excited for the holidays, and usually the first few weeks are fun and jam-packed, but after a while I get bored and almost wish I was back at school, thanks for this amazing post 🙂

July 22, 2018 / 2:12 pm

I feel exactly the same! My summer this year has been 11 weeks so I’m kind of at the ‘I need to be doing school stuff’ now stage when really everyone else’s summer has just started! You should make a post like this, it’s really helpful to set out your goals! X

• July 22, 2018 / 2:14 pm

Thanks for the idea! I’ll definitely make a post on it 🙂 xx

8. July 22, 2018 / 3:19 pm

I loveeeeee the idea of a sentence a day notebook!!!

July 22, 2018 / 4:13 pm

It’s such a good idea isn’t it!! You can buy like special notebooks which do it over a 5 year period to track how your day has been different over the years too – they’re so cool! X

9. July 22, 2018 / 6:43 pm

These are some really great goals! I’ve been trying to get out of the house more whilst the weather is nice as I usually just hide away, me and my boyfriend have been playing Pokemon Go as it gets us out walking and in the sun, having fun at the same time! I love the idea of writing a sentence a day as I definitely can’t commit to a full on diary entry every day, I’ve tried way too many times and failed haha. Good luck achieving your goals! x

Alice // http://www.accordingtoalicex.com

July 22, 2018 / 7:07 pm

I’ve recently got back into pokemon go!! I live in the countryside though so there’s rarely anything for me here!😂 thanks for reading x

10. July 22, 2018 / 7:29 pm

Love this post, I do a similar thing to the sentence a day with a second (of a video) a day and I love it! I’m also useless to make my bed so I should probably do that haha!

July 22, 2018 / 7:31 pm

That sounds amazing, I bet that’s great to watch back at the end of the year!💗

• July 22, 2018 / 7:32 pm

It’s so good, I’ve done it since Jan 2017 so really fun to watch! 😀

11. Kate
    July 22, 2018 / 11:38 pm

I love the idea of writing a sentence a day! I’m like you, I tend to be too lazy for scrapbooking or any big projects haha, but the sentence every day seems really manageable! Just went and followed you for all the summery flower pics hehe xx

July 23, 2018 / 12:38 am

Thank you so much!! The sentence a day is so manageable, and you can always catch up on it after missing a few days without having to remember every detail of what you did, because you’re limited to a sentence!💗

12. July 23, 2018 / 12:57 am

i’ve actually been trying to make my bed more recently (i NEVER make it) & it’s made me feel better about starting the day! plus my bed looks nice & i get to actually see my throw pillows 😂 also LOVE that notebook idea, that would be so fun to look back on!

July 23, 2018 / 8:54 am

Ahah that’s why I want to start doing it, so my bed can look alright for once. Thanks for commenting! X

13. July 23, 2018 / 2:41 am

These are great goals! I can’t stress enough how important it is to read your lit stuff before your a levels start; even though it’s not compulsory, it helps so much as you’re already ahead and you know the stuff well. What books do you have to read, out of interest?

July 23, 2018 / 8:56 am

We’ve got to read our core texts as a compulsory part of the work for summer. My core texts are othello, wuthering heights and Dorian grey. We also have to read at least three of the recommended reading list for further reading. I’m on the AQA love through the ages spec x

14. July 23, 2018 / 10:35 am

Love the idea of writing a sentence a day and I definitely need to start reading more!! Really enjoyed this post xx 🌟💗

July 23, 2018 / 12:51 pm

Thank you!💜

15. July 23, 2018 / 1:02 pm

Brilliant post as always! Such a great idea to set yourself goals I’m always really bad at sticking to them though 😂 this post has reminded me I need to read more and I think the line a day is such a good idea! Good luck x
    Ax | http://www.simplyxanna.wordpress.com

July 23, 2018 / 1:40 pm

Thank you so much Anna! I have to read loads this summer anyway for english lit! Glad you enjoyed reading xx

16. July 24, 2018 / 4:36 pm

Yes on the bed making! I just re-did my bedroom and bought new bedding too, and I feel so satisfied every morning that I’ve made my bed. First, it’s an small task that I’ve accomplished, and so early in the morning too; it really helps set the tone for the rest of the day. Second, I can’t help but dote on how my bedroom looks, and tossing up the covers just makes it look more polished.

July 24, 2018 / 4:45 pm

I totally agree!

17. July 25, 2018 / 2:11 pm

These are all such good ideas!
    I think my room is definitely a huge reflection of my mood. At the moment it’s an absolute tip, and I haven’t unpacked since getting home on Saturday – so I think I’m going to have a mega clean tonight and try and keep on top of keeping it tidy!
    And I definitely need to get back into reading.

July 25, 2018 / 2:24 pm

That’s such a good idea! I’ve made a deal with myself to absolutely overhaul my room before A Levels in September so I can be as organised as possible for them😂😂

• July 25, 2018 / 2:27 pm

Omg GOOD IDEA. A-Levels are great but you definitely have to be so organised and stay on top of everything 😭 I wish I had been more organised when I was doing mine!
        Good luck with your subjects 😊 what are you studying?

July 25, 2018 / 2:35 pm

I’m doing English Lit, History & Psychology. I’m so excited to start psychology because unlike the other two, I didn’t do it at GCSE! X

• July 25, 2018 / 2:36 pm

Oh fab! I did English Literature and Language, History, and Creative Writing. I was going to do Psychology but apparently it involved too much maths and I’m terrible at maths so I didn’t do it!
            I bet it’ll be amazing – hope you enjoy them 😊

July 25, 2018 / 2:45 pm

The maths part of psychology worries me because I’m almost 90% sure I haven’t passed my GCSE in it😂😂hoping I’ll be fine though x

• July 25, 2018 / 2:46 pm

Ah don’t worry! I never ever ever got a C in Maths. I always got Ds and Es, but I managed to get a C in my final GCSE exam! I was convinced I’d fail – so I’m sure you’ll be fine! But it’s not the end of the world if not 😊

July 25, 2018 / 3:11 pm

I suppose not. I’m just hoping to pass really, I want nothing more than a C!!

18. July 25, 2018 / 4:45 pm

I absolutely love this post! I make my bed every day and it always makes me feel so productive. I hope you get to turn all of these into habits xx

July 25, 2018 / 5:59 pm

I’ve been making my bed every day since & it’s so great for making you feel accomplished so early in the day! X

19. July 26, 2018 / 2:47 pm

I love this style of posts, thanks for sharing! Reading is something I definitely want to do more of this summer too, while I have the opportunity!

Shelley x

July 26, 2018 / 2:48 pm

I’ve got to read more for English literature, so I’m really hoping to get my reading mojo back soon! Thanks for reading❤️

July 27, 2018 / 2:50 pm

Glad you enjoyed the post! x

20. July 29, 2018 / 6:18 am

I hope you achieve all of these by the end of the summer.
    Making my bed is like the first thing I do when I wake up!

Luke |Luke Heywood Style

July 29, 2018 / 9:25 am

21. August 16, 2018 / 11:11 am

For me I make my bed every day, but it’s super easy because I don’t have like decorate pillows or blankets or anything. But it makes it SO fast and easy to do 🙂

Julia // The Sunday Mode

August 16, 2018 / 12:35 pm

That sound so much easier – my bed is covered in blankets and pillows😂