I Went Self Hosted! | My Experience & Why You Should Do It Too

Welcome to the new & improved Love, Soph!

I’ve been harping on all over twitter and instagram recently about going self hosted and how I wanted bigger things for my blog.  I’ve been doing this for three years now, and those of you who’ve been following me for a while will no doubt remember my ‘I’m a Zalfie Fanatic’ days.  The old URL of my blog matched my old name, and as I’d transitioned to Love, Soph I always knew I wanted to change up my domain and my blog, make it look more professional and feel more me.

I’m so happy to say that I think I’m finally there!

I have known since around autumn 2017 that I wanted to go self hosted, and although it took me so much courage to do it, and I was so nervous to do it, I’m now extremely glad that I have!

Anyway, while this is all well and good me rambling on about how excited I am for my new blog, I figured I’d get into the exact process which I took to go self hosted.  It was so easy, although I did have a few minor blips along the way, overall the entire process went extremely well.

My Self Hosted Experience

If you’d like to share this post with your pinterest followers, please pin that image!

GOING SELF HOSTED

For my hosting, I used siteground.  I’d read a lot about siteground,  and I knew a few bloggers who used them for their hosting so it seemed like a good choice.  Now I have my blog with them, I can say it is amazing – it’s so fast & the customer support is amazing.  I had an issue with going self hosted where my domain wasn’t yet registered, however this is because siteground hadn’t sent me the validation email.  I got straight onto their customer support team (which is available 24/7 through live chat and is amazing) and they solved my issue within ten minutes –  I literally cannot express how good they were.  I thought that I might have to pay more money to register my domain (this is what pipdig was telling me to do before I resolved the issue) however I didn’t, and this was all because of sitegrounds amazing customer service (and a little bit of help from some lovely bloggers on twitter!).

In terms of price, self hosting can be quite expensive – it was one of the things which initially put me off it.  Baring in mind I’m 15 and don’t have a job, so it’s not exactly like it’s a quick thing for me to pay for!  Overall, the entire process of going self hosted cost me about £140, give or take a few quid.  I bought the start up plan from siteground, which is £2.75 a month for the initial period in which you buy it for – I bought mine for two years, which means I’m going to be self hosted throughout all of my A Levels and I don’t have to worry about it.  After those two years, it’s going to cost £8.95 a month.   I also purchased a domain which cost me £14.95 per year, and that is billed yearly.  With the added 20% VAT, the whole hosting package cost me £97.14.

However, I also wanted to buy a theme through Pipdig  as I’ve seen many bloggers using their themes and they always look so pretty.  What made this even better was that if I bought a theme via pipdig, they’d take my blog self hosted for free.  This meant I didn’t need to be involved in any of the technical bits and gave me virtually no opportunity to screw up my blog (which I’m delighted about – I definitely wouldn’t have been able to go self hosted without this service, I’m a total flop when it comes to techy stuff!).  I bought the Blossom theme (if you’re reading this on my blog and not the wordpress reader, isn’t it pretty?  I think I may be in love!) for £49, although they do offer slightly cheaper and equally as gorgeous themes at £39.  I’m so glad I bought a pipdig theme, it looks so professional and I am loving the customisation options I get with it.  They completed the transfer from my old blog in a day, which is so amazing – I was so shocked at how quickly it was done.

Overall, I think that £140 is a decent price for going self hosted – it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while now and I don’t think that it’s a bad price for two years and a beautiful theme.  It is obviously expensive however I think it’s the step I needed to take in order to fully progress with my blog and to build it up to what I want it to be.  I’ll be putting in a lot of effort with my blog over the summer and hopefully it will be as much of a success as I’d like.  I’ve just spent my evening editing the theme and getting everything looking as I’d like it, and I can now see my weeks being filled with creating all the posts I’ve been missing over my exams!

Thank you for reading my self hosted experience.  If you’ve got any more questions, make sure to leave me a comment and I’ll do my best to answer them all for you!

Soph xx

33 Comments

1. July 15, 2018 / 5:33 pm

So exciting! I went self-hosted in January and it was the best decision ever! I bought my theme on Etsy and had to do it all myself but, surprisingly, it wasn’t that hard!

July 15, 2018 / 5:35 pm

That’s so cool! Thank you for commenting – I’m useless with techy stuff & I really didn’t think I’d be able to do it all myself, which is why I paid for it doing! I’m so happy with my blog now though & can’t wait to start publishing content as often as I can!❤️

2. July 15, 2018 / 5:59 pm

Loved reading your experience! It’s so cool to read your experience because it was completely different to mine. The colour scheme of your blog is so pretty😍

July 15, 2018 / 6:00 pm

Thank you so much Najida! It was different definitely to your experience – I only wish I could even attempt to transfer my own blog ahah! I’m so happy with my blog though now 😊

3. Eden
    July 15, 2018 / 6:00 pm

Loved this post! So happy that you have finally done it, it takes great courage and it looks amazing! Xx

July 15, 2018 / 6:01 pm

Thank you Eden! It took me so much courage & I’m still nervous about it now – I just hope that it is the success I want it to be & I know it takes time, I’ll be putting in my absolute all. Thank you 💜💜

4. July 15, 2018 / 6:22 pm

This simplifies it a lot! it is a little expensive for me but it definitly is an investment!

July 22, 2018 / 7:11 pm

It’s definitely an investment, I think it’s most cost effective to buy your first term of self hosted for as long as possible too, that way you get the £2.95 price for as many months as possible. I’m really loving being self hosted & the opportunities it offers me with my blog; I love the effort it makes me want to put into it!

5. July 15, 2018 / 7:45 pm

Going self hosted is one of my goals by the end of the year! I don’t wanna try run before I can walk so I’m waiting awhile. I’ve started by buying my domain today and I’m just going to gradually go up from now!

July 15, 2018 / 7:48 pm

That’s amazing! Baby steps always work best in situations like this. I love your blog so much so make sure you let me know as & when you’re going self hosted – I’d definitely recommend pipdig and Siteground, they were so quick at the process & made me feel really happy with the end result!❤️

6. July 16, 2018 / 12:18 am

It is always nice to see bloggers going self-hosted. It is worth the investment – especially when you find the right host that gives good service for a good price. Pipdig makes the CUTEST themes! 140/yr is a good price , it’s about 12 pounds a month. Keep it up! 🙂

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

July 16, 2018 / 8:19 am

It’s actually £140 over a two year period, which I find even better! And I got my theme for that price too! After two years it’s around £8 a month which isn’t too bad. I think it’s a really good reliable host too. Thanks for your comment!💖

7. July 16, 2018 / 3:43 pm

I’m so happy that you’ve made the change. It looks gorgeous! Xx

July 16, 2018 / 3:52 pm

Thank you Alanna!💗

8. July 16, 2018 / 7:33 pm

Your new blog is beautiful! Although it is expensive, I think it is the way forward when you want to continue growing as a brand – I wish you the best of luck for the future of your blog!!! <3

Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

July 16, 2018 / 8:04 pm

Thank you! I totally agree Lauren – whenever I was worried about the price I only told myself how good of an investment it would be for my blog & what I’d be getting out of it in the long run😊💘

9. Amy Jane
    July 17, 2018 / 10:37 pm

This blog post was so helpful! You have really inspired me to do the same in maybe the quite far away future seeing as i’m a relatively new blogger myself! <3 XOXO

July 17, 2018 / 10:57 pm

I’m glad you’re thinking about it!! It’s always a good step to grow your blog I think. I’d been blogging for three years before I went self hosted xx

10. Kelsy M
    July 17, 2018 / 11:43 pm

I’ve just started my blog a couple months ago,two months to be exact, and in that time I’ve seen tons of others go self-hosted as well! Seems dolautning but hopefully someday I’ll build my blog up to be as nice as yours!

Kelsy | kelsym.blogspot.com

July 18, 2018 / 12:02 am

I was blogging for three and a half years before I took the leap to being self hosted and it took a lot of thinking about but I’m so glad I did it!! I can’t recommend it enough. Thank you so much for reading 💜

11. July 18, 2018 / 1:54 am

It looks great. Congrats on going self-hosted. My blog is 2 months old and self hosted. I agree with you, price was a deterrent at first but I’m happy that I made the choice to do so too.

July 18, 2018 / 8:18 am

Thank you!! The price is quite a lot but I have bought self hosting for two years there, which isn’t too bad when you look at the price!

12. July 18, 2018 / 2:55 pm

Great post… It’s the price that has put me off too. It think once my premium year with WordPress is up I may move on to proper self hosted site though… Better start saving now haha!

July 22, 2018 / 7:09 pm

It is a bit pricey but I’m now really glad I did it!😊

13. Kudakwaishe
    July 25, 2018 / 1:59 pm

Oh wow, i just noticed! Congratulations Soph!

I am planning on going self-hosted too and i think i can comfortably do so too! I also love the new look too, not forgeting the domain!!

xx, Kudakwaishe

July 25, 2018 / 2:04 pm

Thank you so much Kudakwaishe! Let me know when you go self hosted & I’ll be sure to check it out💜

14. Life in the Happy
    July 30, 2018 / 9:01 am

Your blog looks so amazing!! Do you think going self hosted helps with your views, etc? Is it worth it? x

July 30, 2018 / 10:06 am

I think in the long term, your site is more professional & you would receive more views and traffic, however like any new site it takes some time to build your views back up, however I’ve found that using Pinterest daily my views are back to how they used to be quite quickly. ☺️

• Life in the Happy
        July 30, 2018 / 11:19 am

Thank you so much!! x

15. August 2, 2018 / 3:28 pm

Congrats on going self-hosted! This is such a huge step for you and your blog. I’m so excited to see what you achieve now 🙂 xx

Melina | http://www.melinaelisa.com

August 6, 2018 / 2:13 pm

Thank you so much! x

16. August 8, 2018 / 11:06 am

Your blog is pretty! and pipdig design never disappoints. How has self-hosted been so far?

August 8, 2018 / 12:43 pm

I’ve absolutely loved being self hosted so far, definitely glad that I’ve done it!😊