I don’t know about you, but my skin gets really dry during autumn/winter. I’ve always had trouble with this, and also always had trouble finding a really good moisturiser to treat it. Sure, often you really want to treat yourself with an amazing smelling body butter, but sometimes you just really need something that will work properly and get the job done. That’s where coconut oil comes in: this is an organic moisturister which has been raved about in the beauty community for a few years now, and I’ve just recently hopped on the bandwagon and wanted to share it with you – everything from my thoughts on it and 30 uses for it! Yep, thirty! And, there are loads more but these are just some of my favourites.
I use the Coco Loco organic coconut oil which I believe is from Lidl (my grandma bought it for me) and it is really good and very inexpensive, which is always a plus! I find that you really do not need much to moisturise your whole body, and while I really dislike the smell of coconut, this one isn’t strong at all so I can totally stand the scent! It never fails to make my skin super soft and it also doesn’t feel really greasy.
Anyway, the most interesting thing about coconut oil is that it is really versatile; it can basically be used for ANYTHING! I know lots of people use it as a cooking oil, and the most obvious use for it here might be moisturising, but I’m going to share with you a whopping thirty ways that you can use coconut oil in your life. And, by the way, you should totally be doing these because they’re pretty cool and not to mention very helpful!
- Use it on your eyelashes – before you go to sleep at night, apply coconut oil onto your eyelashes and they should grow thicker and longer if you do it every night!
- Massage into your cuticles – if you put coconut oil onto your cuitcles they’ll grow healthier, stronger and softer: no more painful peeling cuticles here!
- All over body moisturiser – a little obvious, but though’t I’d include it anyway! Rub coconut oil all over your body to make your skin stupidly soft!
- Body scrub – adding equal parts coconut oil and sugar together, along with some essential oils if you’d like, can make an amazing exfoliator that will remove your dead skin and make it really soft.
- Put it into your bath – a spoonful or two of coconut oil melted into your bath will make your bathwater feel luxuriously silky and keep your skin nice and moisturised.
- Hide split ends – before you get to go for a trim at the hairdressers, if your split ends are really getting on your nerves, run a little coconut oil over them and it should mask their apperance making your hair look healthier!
- Hair mask – overnight or for 20 minutes, coconut oil hair masks are garunteed to make your hair feel super soft and look shiny and glossy. Simply apply to your hair evenly and wait as long as you’d like, then wash it out thoroughly and you’ll be left with shining locks!
- Soothe a sore throat – adding a spoonful of coconut oil to your tea when you have a sore throat will help to soothe your throat and stop it from being so painful.
- Take some daily – in whatever form you choose to eat coconut oil, if done so daily it has been proven to help improve sleep, concentration, and even help with weight loss.
- Whip it up with shea butter – if you whip the two together, you’ll get a luxurious feeling body butter: you could also add some scented essential oils for an even nicer treat!
- Lip balm – I don’t know about you, but my lips get really dry come autumn/winter. Maybe it’s the cold weather, but maybe it’s all those dark matte drying lipsticks I’m wearing! To combat this, I put coconut oil on as a lipbalm all the time, especially when I’m about to go to bed; then I wake up with beautifully soft lips!
- Shaving cream – we all know the feeling of having softly shaven legs is the best in the world, but what if you could have super soft legs by using coconut oil as a shaving cream. Thats right, it’s totally doable and makes the newly shaven leg feeling about a million times better!
- Mix it with sea salt – this can help remove the dry skin on your feet, because sea salt is coarser than sugar and so it can tackle tougher skin! You can also lather coconut oil on your feet, then sleep with socks on to have super soft feet in the morning!
- Use it on eczema outbreaks – I suffer from eczema quite badly in the colder weather, my skin gets dry and itchy, especially around my elbows and behind my knees. You can use coconut oil as a natural remedy to eczema to lessen the effects and keep the area moisturised. Plus it has antibacterial properties and can help heal wounds quicker.
- Use it on your elbows – a little coconut oil on your elbows can help stop them from getting dry, flaky and cracking!
- Tame flyaways – if you’re tying your hair back and you’ve noticed a few bits of hair flying away, you can smooth these down with a touch of coconut oil.
- Oil pulling – this is something really weird that I found out about the other day, but I might even try it sometime. Basically you’re supposed to swill your mouth out with coconut oil for 10-15 minutes every day at least five times a week. This is supposed to improve gum health, act as a mouthwash and help whiten teeth when done consistently, and it’s totally natural.
- Lessen your cellulite – if you’ve noticed cellulite on your skin, you can use coconut oil on it to try and lessen it’s apperance (thats only if it bothers you, because you totally do not have to try ‘get rid’ of cellulite if you don’t want to!)
- Resolve acne – for some people, when coconut oil has been used as a regular part of their skincare it has been known to help with acne!
- Under eye cream – I told you coconut oil can really do anything! Using it under your eyes at night can help to lessen the apperance of dark circles which makes for an all round brighter complexion!
I hope you enjoyed this post – have I converted you to coconut oil or do you already use it? Make sure to leave me a comment and tell me which tip surprised you the most! I love my coconut oil!